Skip to the Content

TEMA Headlines - Back  

May 9, 2011

Shelby County & Memphis Flood Resources

Real time updates about the flood relief/recovery efforts and maps of areas anticipated to flood are posted at

Memphis and Shelby County residents without internet service can get information by phone at the 24-Hour Flood Watch Hotline 901-324-8799. Text requests to: 901-290-7530.

Shelby County Emergency Management Agency Contact Information
Main Number: 901-515-2525
Mid-South Red Cross 901-726-1690.
Help/Volunteer Hotline – 901-324.8799, text questions to 901-290.7530


Motorists traveling in the western areas of the state are encouraged to use extreme caution. Up-to-date road closure and travel information can be accessed by visiting, or dialing 5-1-1 from any land line or cell phone. Travelers can also follow TDOT on Twitter at for statewide travel information or!/Memphis511 for traffic information in the Memphis area.


Shelby County Office of Preparedness Shelters

1. Hope Presbyterian Church, 8500 Walnut Grove Road
2. Cummings Street Baptist Church, 250 East Raines
3. Millington Civic Center, 8077 Wilkinsville Road, Millington, TN
4. Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church, 70 north Bellevue

The American Red Cross is supporting the following shelters in the Mid-South and West Tennessee:

Shelby County
- White Station Church of Christ, 1106 Colonial Road, Memphis TN 38117
Crittenden County
- 8th Street Mission, 717 E. Broadway, West Memphis, AR 72301
Dyer County
- Dyersburg 1st Assembly of God, 730 E. Court Street, Dyersburg, TN 38024
Obion and Lake Counties
- Second Baptist Church, 831 Everett Blvd., Union City, TN 38261
- Reelfoot Youth Camp, 4304 Kendall Rd., Hornbeak, TN 38232

To find shelters in your area, access the National Shelter System or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

An emergency animal shelter is open at 1716 Shelby Oaks Drive, North, Suite 1. Pet owners needing shelter for their pet(s) need to bring with them and their pet to the shelter the following items if possible:

- Shot records or rabies tag
- A collar and leash
- Any medication that their animal needs.

If the owner does not have these items that is fine as the shelter is able to provide these and vaccinate the pet at no charge if needed. Pet owners will need to provide the shelter with contact information and present some form of identification (Drivers license, state id etc.). Representatives from the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) are caring for the animals.

River Levels

Mississippi River @ Memphis
Wolf River @ Germantown
Loosahatchie River @ Arlington

More information is available at website of the Shelby County Office of Preparedness.